Take a look
Inside the E.C Houston House
The interior of the 14-room Houston House remains much as it was when built in 1904 with beautiful lead-etched windows in the reception room, above the stair landing, in the dining room, and in the parlor. The parlor features a bay window and a large fireplace. During the 1996 restoration project, early light fixtures were returned to the house, as well as a mirror, which found its original location above the fireplace. The foyer, a beautiful open stairway to the second floor, parlor and formal dining room with butler’s pantry are all connected by a central hallway. On the second floor is a sitting room, young man’s bedroom, master bedroom, a toy room (featuring period dolls, games and cars) and the maid’s room. The maid’s room is used for the study of Burt County history and genealogy. The third floor ballroom features a huge stained-glass skylight and musical instruments. The full basement has four rooms featuring 1) an old-fashioned kitchen, 2) tools and implements used in early-day farming, 3) vintage laundry items, and 4) a “professional room” with photos and artifacts from local business and professional people.
Inside the Schoolhouse
The relocated 1903 District #57 (Nolana) schoolhouse features the charm and traditional setting of a “one room” schoolhouse. It is equipped with slate chalkboards, wooden desks with ink wells, recitation bench, and many other articles from days gone by. This classroom setting may rekindle some memories or create a greater understanding of the learning environment and its transitions.